Bella Vista Creek

Welcome to Bird of the Day!

You might notice some recent changes to the blog. For one, the banner image above has changed from Mustang Island on the Gulf coast to a picture of a local birding spot near my house. Likewise, I plan to focus many of the upcoming posts on birding that area. On the right hand side of the page you will also see the addition of a new gadget that lists what birds have been seen in that area in the last 30 days. Further below, there is a link to ebird for more historic information about the birds seen at Bella Vista Creek. Feel free and contact me on the blog about what you think. Click on images to enlarge. (All photos by gbmcclure)

Jun 6, 2011

Warming up...

Here in Central Texas we have reached high temperatures earlier than even usual. We were well into the 90's in early may and I believe hit the century mark right around June 1st. It is already too hot to do most things outside after eleven and it is not even officially summer.

Anyway, early mornings tend to be OK and that is when you want to go birding anyway. As I had my daughter's dance recital early in the afternoon and still had quite a few things to do I decided I would stay close to home and limit myself to a hour or so.

It turns out this was more than enough time as nothing was really out, and all the usual species made themselves known early and often. Near the pedestrian bridge where I planned to turn around, however, I got a great look at a Downy Woodpecker and two very patient Inca Doves. Unfortunately, the doves were perched on top of a gigantic metal hand rail which look terrible in photos. I am always shocked at how much smaller they look than the more common White-wing and Mourning doves, although you probably can't tell from the picture below.

Inca Dove

1 comment:

  1. Nice! You can even see the red eye! I love those Inca doves.

    ReplyDelete