Bella Vista Creek

Welcome to Bird of the Day!

You might notice some recent changes to the blog. For one, the banner image above has changed from Mustang Island on the Gulf coast to a picture of a local birding spot near my house. Likewise, I plan to focus many of the upcoming posts on birding that area. On the right hand side of the page you will also see the addition of a new gadget that lists what birds have been seen in that area in the last 30 days. Further below, there is a link to ebird for more historic information about the birds seen at Bella Vista Creek. Feel free and contact me on the blog about what you think. Click on images to enlarge. (All photos by gbmcclure)

Jun 13, 2010

Better Days

It's summer. It's hot. The bugs are out. Sure, there are better days to bird, but at 7:00 this morning I was not prepared to wait for the next one to come around. And besides, it's all a trade-off. The birds need the bugs, and when there are birds I don't mind the bugs (as much). The summer heat, well it's Texas, and it's going to be here for a while (forever). On a positive note, the wind stayed down. So all in all, a day just nice enough to head out a little farther than I typically go.

The first bird I saw, or should I say heard, this morning was a pair of Red-shouldered Hawks. The first flushed pretty quickly as he saw me coming, but the second remained still and allowed me to fire off a couple shots. At the time, I chalked it up to the fact that he was a more mature bird and perhaps not quite as quick to abandon his post. When I got home and downloaded the picture, I noticed he was missing his left eye, which also could have been a factor. Definitely, he's had better days.

red-shouldered hawk with one eye

The last, new bird I saw of the day was also the BOTD. This Prothonotary Warbler crossed the river, bounced around the foliage, and finally appeared as I was walking back up the trail to my car. Definitely, she's had better hair days.

prothonotary warbler

Other than the hawk, the Prothonotary Warbler, and a first-year male Summer Tanager, other birds were out and looking their best. This was one of a number of Eastern Bluebirds out this morning. I cranked up the exposure a tad to make him stand out.

eastern blubird exposed

Also out in good numbers were Eastern Kingbirds and Red-bellied Woodpeckers.

eastern kingbird

red-bellied woodpecker two

All in all, a Better Day (than I expected).

No comments:

Post a Comment