Bella Vista Creek

Welcome to Bird of the Day!

You might notice some recent changes to the blog. For one, the banner image above has changed from Mustang Island on the Gulf coast to a picture of a local birding spot near my house. Likewise, I plan to focus many of the upcoming posts on birding that area. On the right hand side of the page you will also see the addition of a new gadget that lists what birds have been seen in that area in the last 30 days. Further below, there is a link to ebird for more historic information about the birds seen at Bella Vista Creek. Feel free and contact me on the blog about what you think. Click on images to enlarge. (All photos by gbmcclure)

Jun 1, 2010

May 31, 2010

Even though I got a late start this morning (7:30), I tried to hit three spots within the Balcones NWR and be back in time for lunch. This also required car travel to and from the refuge, and car travel between the three locations.

As I pulled into the parking lot at the first spot, a beautiful male Lesser Goldfinch alit on a large wildflower 20ft. from my truck. Lesson learned: assemble your camera before you leave the house! Oh well, I was mainly there to look for the Golden-cheeked Warbler. After hiking the 1.5 mile trail I was able to get brief looks at three, and one picture of tail feathers exiting the top of the frame. Close by there was a Lark Sparrow and a Rufous-crowned Sparrow on a power line. As I was driving away, a Greater Roadrunner crossed the gravel road. I don't believe this carries the same significance as a black cat.

From the first location I took a scenic road that follows a creek and headed toward my next stop. Along the way, I noticed a number of birds in the trees next to the creek and what seemed like hundreds of furry caterpillars crossing the road. Toward the end of the road, I also saw my BOTD--this relatively cooperative Painted Bunting. Fortunately no one was behind me as I stopped the truck in the middle of the road to takes some pictures.

At the next stop, I was looking particularly for the Black-capped Vireo. After a very quiet 30 minutes, and the sun and temperature rising, I abandoned the attempt in hopes of finding some other summer residents at my third location. It turned out to still be surprisingly active at 11:00 in the morning. Just off the parking lot Lark Sparrows were using the paved walkway and hummingbirds were visiting the flowers. On the closest trail, this Ash-throated Flycatcher was perched nicely on a open branch.


As I slowly made my way back to the car, a group of wrens, a Summer Tanager, and a Yellow-billed Cuckoo also made brief appearances. The drive home, of course, seemed twice as long as the one going out there (why does it always seem that way?), but I made it home just in time for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment