Bella Vista Creek

Welcome to Bird of the Day!

You might notice some recent changes to the blog. For one, the banner image above has changed from Mustang Island on the Gulf coast to a picture of a local birding spot near my house. Likewise, I plan to focus many of the upcoming posts on birding that area. On the right hand side of the page you will also see the addition of a new gadget that lists what birds have been seen in that area in the last 30 days. Further below, there is a link to ebird for more historic information about the birds seen at Bella Vista Creek. Feel free and contact me on the blog about what you think. Click on images to enlarge. (All photos by gbmcclure)

Jun 3, 2010

June 3, 2010 (The Slide Show)

This is one of those things that when presented to you as a kid was unappetizing. Now, later on in life, it seems more than just palatable, but healthy, even indispensable. I am not talking about vegetables, but the slide show. Part of it, I think, has to do with it being "my" selection of content. But more, I think maybe being a certain age lends itself to certain activities. This is helped by the fact that at 40, say, you are in a position to buy your own camera, take your own trips, etc. Nevertheless, though activities across generations may stay the same, the technology and mediums change drastically. So are we still having slide shows? Are they accomplishing what they did in the past?

As a kid, I can remember my parents and their friends gathering at a house to see the photos of a trip. My parents' Ireland vacation comes to mind. The carousel was loaded and coffee was served. (Lengthy) conversation took place at every slide. Today, photos are collected on Flickr, Picasa, etc., and "friends" are invited to look at them. Conversations are "comments", usually brief and cliched.

Now don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of Flickr. Heck, there is a link to it at the left of this blog post. But as much as I want to take the picture, I want to talk to somebody about it. And for every excellent picture I see, I want to ask the photographer a hundred questions. Truth be told, I also want a cup of coffee.

If I go out and take some photos, if I wanted--with the technology at my touch today--I could have them downloaded and in a slide show in 30 minutes. I could project them onto a 26" monitor, zoom in, and even show them to you in black and white. The coffee, however, is still going to take 15 minutes to brew.

So, by all means, share and store you pictures online with friends far away, but don't forget the good, old, healthy slide show. Oh yeah, and if you want me awake, I'll need the coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment