Bella Vista Creek

Welcome to Bird of the Day!

You might notice some recent changes to the blog. For one, the banner image above has changed from Mustang Island on the Gulf coast to a picture of a local birding spot near my house. Likewise, I plan to focus many of the upcoming posts on birding that area. On the right hand side of the page you will also see the addition of a new gadget that lists what birds have been seen in that area in the last 30 days. Further below, there is a link to ebird for more historic information about the birds seen at Bella Vista Creek. Feel free and contact me on the blog about what you think. Click on images to enlarge. (All photos by gbmcclure)

Jun 5, 2010

June 5, 2010 (Breakfast)

I had got in the habit of keeping a box of Poptarts in my truck as I often found myself rushing out the door to go birding and forgetting to eat. In the preceding week, however, I failed to replenish my stash, and with a short outing in mind I was not worried. Birds are lucky in the fact that food for them is usually readily available. As I was pondering my lost opportunity, I came across this Northern Mockingbird getting ready to enjoy his breakfast of fresh caterpillar.



Under an overpass near the same spot I noticed that an Eastern Phoebe nest, which had been "knocked down" a few days before, was back up. Two phoebes as usual were perched on the fence just outside the overpass.

As activity settled down, I decided to walk across the park to small meadow on the other side. On one side there were a few trees with a good amount of shrubs grown up around the base--ideal habitat for some good birds. I did not have to get that close before I could hear the vireos and see the buntings.



Among the Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, Painted Buntings, and Carolina Chickadees sharing this spot, I could hear a call that was distinctive among them and different from the White-eyed Vireos I heard earlier in the morning. Soon, from relatively deep in the foliage, I spotted the BOTD--this Bell's Vireo. Sorry for the poor photo, but it never did feel comfortable coming farther out.



I hung around for another 30 minutes hoping for a better shot. I even tried the old "look away and pretend I don't care" technique, but had no luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment