Bella Vista Creek

Welcome to Bird of the Day!

You might notice some recent changes to the blog. For one, the banner image above has changed from Mustang Island on the Gulf coast to a picture of a local birding spot near my house. Likewise, I plan to focus many of the upcoming posts on birding that area. On the right hand side of the page you will also see the addition of a new gadget that lists what birds have been seen in that area in the last 30 days. Further below, there is a link to ebird for more historic information about the birds seen at Bella Vista Creek. Feel free and contact me on the blog about what you think. Click on images to enlarge. (All photos by gbmcclure)

Jul 6, 2010

The Circle of Life

Last week was a tough one, as my beloved St. Bernard, Dylan, passed away. She was 12-years-old and lived a great life filled with love, dog biscuits, and walks. Here is a photo of her distinctive howl. She will be greatly missed.

Dylan in Albuquerque

In order to distract myself, I busied myself in the garage with the cleaning and reorganizing task I had been putting off for months. While I was outside, my neighbors called me over to help them with some baby birds that were lying in the grass of their front yard. At first I noticed two, very young birds lying in the grass. Looking up in the tree I saw the nest had come loose from its perch and was dangling. Inside two more birds were clinging to it for dear life. Buzzing about the tree, obviously upset were mother and father Northern Cardinals. After order was restored, somewhat, I snapped this photo of the babies.

baby cardinals ready for food

While nothing can replace the ones we lose, the world does continue to turn, and new life is created each minute.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Gid, these are great pictures (of course the one of Dylan is fantastic--I do miss talking to her and having her talk back) and great text. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are great, I'm so sorry about Dylan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gideon, your beautiful post reminded me of my friend's similar experience with a fallen dove's nest. As you know, doves' nests are largely hope and a prayer with a couple of twigs for good measure. The fall caused the nest to disintegrate enough to no longer be viable. My friend simply hoisted the nest remains, baby birds and all, and put it in a child's Easter basket which they hung back in the same place as the nest. The baby birds not only survived but Mom and Dad came back the following year and built their nest in the Easter basket. That made it a much safer year for those babies. Enjoying your blog, Love, Lynna

    ReplyDelete