Bella Vista Creek

Welcome to Bird of the Day!

You might notice some recent changes to the blog. For one, the banner image above has changed from Mustang Island on the Gulf coast to a picture of a local birding spot near my house. Likewise, I plan to focus many of the upcoming posts on birding that area. On the right hand side of the page you will also see the addition of a new gadget that lists what birds have been seen in that area in the last 30 days. Further below, there is a link to ebird for more historic information about the birds seen at Bella Vista Creek. Feel free and contact me on the blog about what you think. Click on images to enlarge. (All photos by gbmcclure)

Jul 16, 2010

The Dog Days of Summer

For this part of Texas, early July is the probably the low point for birding. I should look back at earlier posts because I have a feeling I said the same thing about June. I anticipate a similar August. Nevertheless, up to this point I've never seen nothing.

I decreased my chances of seeing anything unusual Tuesday by refusing to travel more than about 10 miles, in order to have time to fit in some skateboarding before the heat became unbearable. The first thing that struck me was the large number of Killdeer that had gathered at this city park. I easily saw between 15-20 Killdeer speed-walking across the soccer and baseball fields.

Second, although I see turtles here always, I rarely see them past the water's edge. This Red Eared Slider was on the walking path through the park. As I got close to him he went into his shell, and after I passed by he came out and "took off" in the other direction.

Red-eared Slider

I imagine this is the view the hare had at the end of the race.

As I walked back to the car two American Crows flew into the cedar trees to my right. I took this relatively poor picture of one of them.

American Crow

Though it is not a very good picture, its content is one that I've been looking for and with some editing will be turned into a very different piece of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment