Bella Vista Creek

Welcome to Bird of the Day!

You might notice some recent changes to the blog. For one, the banner image above has changed from Mustang Island on the Gulf coast to a picture of a local birding spot near my house. Likewise, I plan to focus many of the upcoming posts on birding that area. On the right hand side of the page you will also see the addition of a new gadget that lists what birds have been seen in that area in the last 30 days. Further below, there is a link to ebird for more historic information about the birds seen at Bella Vista Creek. Feel free and contact me on the blog about what you think. Click on images to enlarge. (All photos by gbmcclure)

Jul 24, 2010

That's Incredible!

For those that don't know/remember, That's Incredible was a show from the early 80's that features people demonstrating crazy stunts. It was hosted by Fran Tarkenton. Who? Fran Tarkenton was the Brett Favre 30 years ago; he was the quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings.

To make a long story short, I thought of that expression today as I was watching and listening to the BOTD. I went out this morning with the intent of taking a photograph of this bird and was not disappointed. As a treat, it was also in the open and very cooperative--allowing me to sit on a nearby picnic table and observe for a good 10 minutes.

pileated woodpecker

This is definitely the longest and best look I've had of a Pileated Woodpecker. I think they are also my favorite bird. The rest of the morning also proved interesting as the large spiders were present again.

orb weaver

I've also noticed that these spiders come in pairs, but on different webs which are separated by about five feet.

In a field off the highway, early in the morning, there was also nearly 20 Cattle Egrets keeping company with the resident cattle. I took this picture of two of them next to what looks like a very healthy cow. These egrets are typically around 20" tall to give you an idea of the scale of size.

cattle, egrets

No comments:

Post a Comment