Bella Vista Creek

Welcome to Bird of the Day!

You might notice some recent changes to the blog. For one, the banner image above has changed from Mustang Island on the Gulf coast to a picture of a local birding spot near my house. Likewise, I plan to focus many of the upcoming posts on birding that area. On the right hand side of the page you will also see the addition of a new gadget that lists what birds have been seen in that area in the last 30 days. Further below, there is a link to ebird for more historic information about the birds seen at Bella Vista Creek. Feel free and contact me on the blog about what you think. Click on images to enlarge. (All photos by gbmcclure)

Jul 9, 2010

Nocturnal vs. Insomnia

One of the benefits, if there is one, to not being able to sleep is that you are up and ready to bird even on days you didn't plan on going. Since I was awake at the hour most young women are finally leaving the party at Snoop Dog's house, and there was finally a break in the rain, I decided to head out. I definitely did not want to go far, as rain was forecast again for mid-morning.

As is typical for a central Texas summer day in a relatively urban setting, most of the usual birds were out. I did expect to find more, however, as tropical storms to the south had been creating interesting weather. And like a said we were experiencing a brief dry morning. On the lake I did spot one Great Egret and a couple Great Blue Herons. In addition, there were easily five Green Herons along one side of the lake. I got this shot as it flew right by me.

green heron

I was heading back thinking which common bird was going to be the BOTD when I just happened to look up at the right spot into a large Live Oak and see this guy.

great horned owl 2

I cannot say for sure, but I believe this Great Horned Owl (Bubo virginianus) is the same one I have seen at this location twice previously. The other two times he was easier to spot as he was being harassed by a crow.

No comments:

Post a Comment