Bella Vista Creek

Welcome to Bird of the Day!

You might notice some recent changes to the blog. For one, the banner image above has changed from Mustang Island on the Gulf coast to a picture of a local birding spot near my house. Likewise, I plan to focus many of the upcoming posts on birding that area. On the right hand side of the page you will also see the addition of a new gadget that lists what birds have been seen in that area in the last 30 days. Further below, there is a link to ebird for more historic information about the birds seen at Bella Vista Creek. Feel free and contact me on the blog about what you think. Click on images to enlarge. (All photos by gbmcclure)

May 16, 2012

Bird of the Day ID Audio Quiz #1

The sounds of Spring are certainly alive and one of the major contributors are birds. Adult birds that breed here in the summer use their voices to stake territory claims. Young birds might be asking for food. Others might be signaling other birds about possible predators (you know, all these strange guys pointing at them and holding objects up to their faces). Birding this week I was inspired by all these songs and calls. I thought of all the time we focus on capturing birds in photographs. We are impressed by their various shapes and colors, but rarely appreciate what their sounds do for our environment. I thought I might try to capture a little bit of what I heard the other day birding, and share it here on Bird of the Day. A couple of bugs may need to be worked out before it goes smoothly so be patient. Extra points go to the person who can identify what brand of leaf blower is providing the annoying background track. I think the bird still comes through, however. Click HERE and adjust the volume accordingly--probably up!)

1 comment: