Bella Vista Creek

Welcome to Bird of the Day!

You might notice some recent changes to the blog. For one, the banner image above has changed from Mustang Island on the Gulf coast to a picture of a local birding spot near my house. Likewise, I plan to focus many of the upcoming posts on birding that area. On the right hand side of the page you will also see the addition of a new gadget that lists what birds have been seen in that area in the last 30 days. Further below, there is a link to ebird for more historic information about the birds seen at Bella Vista Creek. Feel free and contact me on the blog about what you think. Click on images to enlarge. (All photos by gbmcclure)

May 6, 2012

It All Depends on the Day (within reason)

This morning, in the light rain extended from a pretty major electrical storm the night before, I attended a monthly bird hike in a nearby neighborhood. Locally, this a hotspot for birding within the city. It being early May, the peak of migration in Central Texas, I expected (hoped may be a better word) to see at least a few Warblers coming through the area. The overnight storm had interrupted some persistent southerly winds which increased our chances. Long story short, I was not disappointed. By the end of the morning we had tallied a Black-and-white, Black-throated Green, Blackburnian, Common Yellowthroat, Magnolia, Nashville, Tennessee, and Yellow Warblers. Add to this list a few Vireos, including a rare for the area Philadelphia Vireo, and it turned out to be a very productive morning. Two weeks ago, we were visiting family in Corpus Christ, and I drove up to Paradise Pond in Port Aransas, to see some migratory birds fresh in from their flights across the Gulf. Also expected, I saw some great Warblers there as well. (Canada and Northern Waterthrush not from the group above, and also a Veery, Swainson's and Grey-cheeked Thrush.) As great as all these birds were to see, the big migration story for me this year so far has to be yesterday morning in a neighborhood park not a mile from my house. I have only been to this location a few times and have lately though I might spend more time there cataloging what birds I see there through the year. I figured I needed to make sure I checked it out at least a few times during migration for sure. It wasn't long before I saw my first Yellow Warbler. With minutes the obvious black hat appeared on another and I had a Wilson's. Soon a Black-throated Green Warbler appeared in my binoculars and I was still in the spot I started. I thought about moving on but the birds seemed to be fine coming to me, so I just stayed put. A beautiful male Chestnut-sided Warbler flew into a tree to my left and after it a Male Magnolia. Some other birds flew into some nearby undergrowth and I gave chase, coming up with pant-leg caught on Dewberries, an great look at a White-eyed Vireo, and, errr, how do I put this, legs full of chiggers. The latter is the only thing I could have done without, obviously! (And I'll spare you the photos!) What's is your favorite Warbler? Any good birds this Migration? Let me know. Gideon

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! There's nothing like discovering a new birding hotspot close to your house. Keep us posted about what you find there!

    ReplyDelete