Bella Vista Creek

Welcome to Bird of the Day!

You might notice some recent changes to the blog. For one, the banner image above has changed from Mustang Island on the Gulf coast to a picture of a local birding spot near my house. Likewise, I plan to focus many of the upcoming posts on birding that area. On the right hand side of the page you will also see the addition of a new gadget that lists what birds have been seen in that area in the last 30 days. Further below, there is a link to ebird for more historic information about the birds seen at Bella Vista Creek. Feel free and contact me on the blog about what you think. Click on images to enlarge. (All photos by gbmcclure)

May 22, 2012

Quick-with-the-Beer, Chick!

This past weekend I was intending on being at a birding workshop at a place called Bamberger Ranch. Due to lack of interest, however, it was cancelled. Instead, I took the opportunity to take my 8-year-old son camping...er, OK birding. He was a little skeptical at first. Even though he has been out with me before, for short periods (followed by a stop for donuts), this would be more of a commitment. Seeing dad come home with chiggers two weeks ago only added to his anxiety. When we got to the ranch he was still quiet but his mood was improved with some root beer while I unpacked and got us set up. After that he was willing to explore the trails along the creek, and we set out with our binoculars around our necks. I'm glad we got there in time to go out the first evening, because I had a real close encounter with a male Golden-cheeked Warbler. This endangered songbird is famous in the Texas Hill Country, as it's the only small area left that it breeds in every summer. It spends most of the year down in Central America. I do not know why it chooses to come to TEXAS for the Summer, but I'm glad it does. My son, unfortunately, missed the bird as he was messing around with water spiders along the creek. The Lesser Goldfinches and Eastern Phoebes were out in great numbers. And we were really excited to see an Ash-throated Flycatcher guard its nest--at one point fanning its tail in a nice display. One of the noisiest birds of the day was the one I recorded for Quiz #3. No matter where we went these guys seemed to be singing. Even driving the property on our way out we would here the bird every time we stopped the car. At one point we stopped to watch a group of Wild Turkeys move up a hill, and my son said listen that's the...A proud dad, indeed! As a final note, the bird app iBIRD, gives the clue that this bird's song has a phonetic description of "Quick-with-the-Beer, Check!" I think it makes more sense, even if more misogynistic, as, "Quick-with-the-beer, chick!"

No comments:

Post a Comment