Bella Vista Creek

Welcome to Bird of the Day!

You might notice some recent changes to the blog. For one, the banner image above has changed from Mustang Island on the Gulf coast to a picture of a local birding spot near my house. Likewise, I plan to focus many of the upcoming posts on birding that area. On the right hand side of the page you will also see the addition of a new gadget that lists what birds have been seen in that area in the last 30 days. Further below, there is a link to ebird for more historic information about the birds seen at Bella Vista Creek. Feel free and contact me on the blog about what you think. Click on images to enlarge. (All photos by gbmcclure)

May 25, 2012

Hanging in the Balance

So far,birding along what I am calling Bella Vista creek, there are a handful of birds dominating the aural landscape. Two of these birds are Vireos, the White-eyed and the Red-eyed species. I have written about the former in previous posts, but not so much about the latter. It's common name suggests a key field mark for identification, but I have found the eye color not all that evident depending on lighting conditions and other factors. On the other hand, you can also go by the distinctive markings of its supercilium. In addition to both these unique characteristics, the Red-eyed Vireo is also true to its Latin name, Vireo olivaceus. A good look at this little bird and I think you will appreciate its rich olive upper parts. But sight is not the only way to appreciate the Red-eyed Vireo. In truth, you often hear it long before you see it, much like the closely related White-eyed Vireo. Here is a recording of its song I captured the other day (hopefully the wind is not too interfering). Red-eyed Vireo Song After listening to this little feller for a little bit, I happened to catch a glimpse of him moving. I followed him up the path for about 50 feet and found him at a nest. As his nest looked fully formed, (can you see it in the photo below?), I am guessing he may have been bringing food for either an incubating mom or hatched little ones. If all goes well we should hear 3-5 more Red-eyed Vireos along the creek soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment